MARHOLM ANNUAL VILLAGE MEETING

HELD ON 14TH APRIL 2016

COMMENCED AT 7.05PM AND FINISHED AT 8.00PM

Present:

Philip Nuttall (Vice Chair & Councillor)        Peter Hill (Councillor)

Sue Welch (Councillor)                                G Haythornthwaite (Councillor & Honorary Clerk)

 

Apologies:

Tim Hawkins (Chair)

 

14 x Marholm Residents

Councillor John Holdich OBE

 

Chairperson’s Report

In the absence of the Chair, the annual report was given by the Vice Chair & the Honorary Clerk. It covered the following:

  1. It is a legal requirement to hold an Annual Village Meeting.
  2. Thank you to a number of residents that have contributed to the village over the last 12 months, specifically:
  • Sue Welch – for all her work to get the defibrillator installed in the village
  • Terry Taylor – for distributing flyers around the village for the MPC. This was much appreciated
  • Karina Collins – for all her hard work raising the issues of anti-social behaviour on Woodcroft Road. She has been tireless in her work to get rid of this.
  • Christopher Haythornthwaite – for all his work as the Gigaclear Champion. He battled to get Marholm included, and as a result we now have Gigaclear throughout the village and this will significantly add to the desirability of Marholm as a place to live for the future
  • Gillian Haythornthwaite – personal thanks from the Chair for the work she does as the Honorary Clerk

A review of some of the Parish Council activities that have taken place over the last 12 months:

  1. We have a plan to erect Village Gateways to enhance the look of the village and to try to reduce the speed of the cars through the village. This is being paid for by the donation from the Aidan Patrick Fogarty Deceased Will Trust
  2. The Defibrillator has been installed and an awareness session is being held on 21st May 2016 in the Village Hall. Everyone is welcome. The session is for up to 50 people.
  3. We represented the views of Marholm in the Boundary Review. As a village we were one of the most active in this review and our views were certainly heard. We believe this was a key factor in getting the successful outcome that we wanted – to be in a Parish with Castor.
  4. Marholm has a strong voice within the Peterborough City Council. We have been involved in the Parish Liaison Group Meetings, the Scrutiny Meetings, attended the Annual Parish Council Conference and networked with other Parish Councils. In addition, we have had an input into the Rural Action Plan and Strategy.
  5. Planning is an important subject within the village. We have taken an active role in all planning applications, reviewing them at each meeting and attending Planning Committee meetings as appropriate, to put across the Parish Council’s view on applications within the village.
  6. We are in the process of developing a Village Plan. This is a document that is agreed by the village and lays down how the residents would like the village to develop. This is a long process and will be developed over the next few years. We will be gaining knowledge from other Parish Councils whilst we go through this process.
  7. There is a village email distribution list that we will be using to send out the agenda and minutes from the Parish Council meetings, starting from this meeting. We will continue to post these on the noticeboards and the website as well.

Castor Development

The proposed plans were circulated to those in attendance. The purpose of this agenda item was to inform residents that this is being considered at the moment and they should be aware of the possible impact on Marholm.

Cllr John Holditch made the following points:

  1. The application plans will be included in the Council Development Plan, which will be published in a few weeks time.
  2. The traffic into Peterborough is already an issue in the morning. The additional traffic that this development will generate will make the issue much worse and it is likely that Marholm will be affected by an increase in traffic trying to find a better route into Peterborough.
  3. Water End in Marholm has been affected by flooding in the past. The water comes from Castor. Improved drainage systems have been installed which has resolved the issue. However, if this development goes ahead then there is a risk that the drainage won’t be sufficient and this could result in an increased risk of flooding in Marholm. Any development needs to include improved drainage to protect Marholm
  4. Peterborough City Council is required by Government to have 5000 house plots available for development at any one time. It is also needs to find a further 3500 house plots to meet the Government target. The Castor Development is seen as a very desirable one that developers would be keen to get involved with.
  5. It is also possible that developers can put pressure on Peterborough City Council to agree to housing plots to meet their Government targets.
  6. Residents need to get involved and speak up, just like Marholm did for the Boundary Review.

Philip Nuttall – Vice Chair: As Marholm Parish Council we are taking an active role in all these discussions. We will be participating in the Castor and Ailsworth Action Groups to ensure that the views of Marholm residents are heard and included. We will also raise our concerns through other channels within the Peterborough City Council.

Open Forum

The Vice Chairperson opened the floor to those attending to raise matters with the Parish Council. The following were raised:

  1. Level of traffic and speeding through the village – this is still the main issue in the village:
    1. We have been trying to get the rumble strips re-instated – this will be raised again
    2. Speed cameras – it was requested that we ask the police to come with a speed camera to try to deter drivers from speeding through the village and in some cases overtaking in the middle of the village.
  2. Cllr John Holditch informed the meeting that Peterborough now has 106 Enforcement Officers. As the Police no longer investigate low level crime, these Enforcement Officers have the same powers as the Police and are tackling anti-social behaviour in local communities
  3. Litter Picking – there is a considerable amount of rubbish in and around the village again. Residents are keen to keep on tackling this. It was requested that the Parish Council contact Mark Brown to see if he would like to continue to lead this and then we can get some dates booked into residents’ diaries.
  4. Precept – a question was asked about the increase in the precept. The Parish Council sets its budget and precept is based on this amount. There have been a number of additional costs (e.g. website, server, training for councillors), which have been included in the 2016 / 2017 Budget. Details of this budget are in the minutes from the meeting dated 19th November 2015.
  5. Localism – Peterborough City Council has lost £54m of Central Government grants, plus it has had to take on additional costs for Social Care. As a result, there is a lot less money available for local communities. This means that residents in villages like Marholm are being asked to take on more responsibility for their village needs. This can be in time and money.
  6. The Aidan Patrick Fogarty Deceased Trust will not be giving Parish Councils in the Peterborough area a donation this year. Instead, Parish Councils can apply for funding for specific projects. If residents have any suggestions please contact a member of the Parish Council. We are keen to apply for funding for appropriate projects.

 

Vice Chairperson’s Closing Remarks

The Vice Chairperson closed the meeting by thanking those Marholm Residents that had attended the meeting.

The next Annual Village Meeting will be held between 1st March and 1st June 2017

 

If any Marholm Resident has something they would like to raise with the Parish Council, please Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.